Drones are fun and useful, and they can be affordable too. Here are some of the best drones under 200 that can suit your needs!
As every kid (or those kids at heart) knows, drones are fun to play with.
Yet, they can be very useful too, as they can be outfitted with a camera to help with search and rescue missions and security.
Also, they can be used to film movies for would-be Quentin Tarantinos or ads for real estate agents.
They don’t have to be very expensive either, as the best drones under 200 may very well be able to do the job.
You may think at first that drones are expensive, and by and large that can actually be true. You can find some of them costing a lot more than a thousand bucks.
But then again, some are affordable enough, though of course the quality of these cheaper drones can vary a lot as many drone reviews under 200 will tell you.
You can get great bargains with the best drones under 200, and then you may also find stinkers among some of the available options in the market.
First, let’s look at the restrictions of a limited budget.
You do have to understand that quality does come at a higher price, so even the best drone under 200 dollars cannot really go head to head with some of the more expensive models.
Even the best drones under 200 come with inherent limitations.
Some of the drone reviews under 200 tend to mention these limitations as failings, but that’s quite unfair.
It’s like complaining how a Honda Civic isn’t as powerful and as luxurious as a top-of-the-line Mercedes Benz.
You can’t expect advanced features seen in more expensive models to also appear in the much cheaper models.
That’s really some wishful thinking.
Here are some of the limitations that many drone reviews under 200 tend to mention:
- Flight distance – Your operating range can still reach about 500 meters for some of the best drones under 200, especially if you’re willing to shell out just a few bucks more. However, if your budget is extremely limited then you may be forced to operate to just within 100 meters.
- Flight time – Drones don’t really stay too long in the air. Even the more expensive ones rarely last more than half an hour. So don’t expect similar flight times with much cheaper drones. Even the best drone under 200 dollars may only last about 7 to 12 minutes in the air.
- Camera quality – Prices have dropped a lot for drones nowadays that you may find some of the best drones under 200 already outfitted with a camera. But expect the best drones under 200 with camera to offer only so-so quality even if they boast full HD resolution. That’s often because they don’t have the stabilization features that are often found in more expensive drones.
- Wear and tear – Most of these drones need to rest awhile between flights. While brushless drones don’t heat up as fast and are more durable, it will take a while before you find a brushless drone under 200.
I list these limitations so that you can have more realistic expectations concerning these best drones under 200.
It’s like buying the best affordable family sedan in the market—you don’t expect them to go from 0 to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds!
It’s important that you keep this in mind when you read the drone reviews under 200.
Now that we have these limitations covered, let’s head straight to helping you find the best drone under 200 dollars for your particular needs
This post, it’s photos and table include links to products on other websites. If you purchase something through these links we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
BEST DRONES UNDER 200
HOW IT LOOKS
OUR OVERALL RATING
|Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone|
|Holy Stone F181W Wi-Fi FPV Drone with 720P Wide-Angle HD Camera|
|Holy Stone HS160 Shadow FPV RC Drone with 720P HD Wi-Fi Camera|
|Holy Stone HS230 RC Racing FPV Drone with 120° FOV 720P HD Camera|
|Altair #AA 108 Camera Drone|
Let’s start with a drone that’s basically a toy . There’s nothing wrong with that, as plenty of teens (and even adults) will tell you.
You can always switch to this best drone under 200 dollars when you’re bored playing with your new remote control car, especially if you don’t want a camera with it.
What’s great about this drone that it’s a very affordable model. In fact, it’s so affordable that it’s probably even one of the best drones you can buy for less than 50 bucks.
Of course, you have to contend with a control range of just 30 to 50 meters and a flying time of about 6 to 8 minutes.
Just bring plenty of spare rechargeable batteries even though this already has one with the purchase, as the charging time takes about an hour or so.
Still, it offers features that make it a candidate for the best drone under 200 dollars.
First, it’s very easy to control as it comes with headless mode. This allows you to control the RC quadcopter much more easily even if you’re a rookie.
With headless mode the RC stick is always oriented by which way you face, and not by whatever direction the drone is facing, so control will be a piece of cake
Also, it comes in 3 different speeds, so as you become better at controlling the drone you can go faster.
Just go slow at first, and then go faster as you master the drone. It’s like riding a bike.
The drone has a 6-axis gyro stabilization system so that you can make loops and rolls and you can recover easily after your aerobatic stunts. This lets you try out all these maneuvers without having to worry about losing control afterwards.
It’s also wind-resistant and has guards around the blades so they don’t hit anything.
That means you can’t use this to threaten to decapitate your enemies (not that you should, you know).
The unit has colorful LED lights so you can spot it at night and also distinguish between the front and back of the drone.
- It is extremely affordable
- It’s great for beginners to practice on, which is great for one of the best drones under 200
- It looks nice enough, and it certainly doesn’t look cheap
- It’s very easy to control
- You don’t need to register this product with the FAA, because it only weighs less than 0.55 pounds
- The customer support is fantastic. Holy Stone is famed for their great support of their warranties.
- Yes, the operating range is extremely limited but that’s actually normal for cheap drones
- The flight time is also limited
- Heat buildup is a problem with the motor and the circuit board. So even if you have plenty of batteries, you’re encouraged to take 10-minute breaks for the parts to cool down in between your flights
“Terrific Starter Drone”
If you really want your drone to be useful, you’ll want to outfit it with a camera.
The best drones under 200 with camera save you the trouble.
Now, the F181W is one of the best drones under 200 with camera, and its price is actually only about half that.
The camera offers 720p resolution, with a field of view of 120 degrees.
You can use an app with this aside from the RC controller. The app lets you see a live feed from the drone camera.
Cool isn’t it?
The controller itself has a holding station for your smartphone so you can control the drone based on what you see from the smartphone live feed.
The operating range is about 50 to 100 meters, and the flight time can last about 7 to 10 minutes.
The drone has frame guards around the blades, so people will not be nervous near your drone.
Also, the drone has multiple speeds. You can go slow if you’re still learning.
Releasing the flight stick gives you automatic altitude hold, which means it hovers at its current height. Handy for taking pictures and videos.
It also has headless mode that makes it easier to control, good feature for newbies.
Moreover, it has 6-axis gyro system that gives the drone wind resistance and stability while also letting you try out various aerial maneuvers to impress your friends with.
There’s a “return to home” button you can press to quickly get it back to you and land. In fact, it also has this one-key feature for takeoff.
Nice convenience features all in all.
- The headless mode and the one-key landing make it easy for newbies to control
- It can offer decent videos especially with the altitude hold
- You can get live feeds
- The range is much better, though for newbies it’s still a good idea to keep the drone in your sights
- Again, you get fantastic customer support
- Recharging the batteries can take as long as 90 minutes
- Some parts like the battery and camera harnesses can be a bit fragile, so only let kids use it with adult supervision
- You’ll still need to let it cool down for about 10 minutes in between flights
“Great Starter Drone with a Camera”
This doesn’t really look like other best drones under 200 with camera with a small body and long legs for the blades. Instead, the body is elongated and the legs are short.
But it does come with a camera – a saving grace.
This is another bestseller, and a reason why it’s one of the best drones under 200 is that its price doesn’t go to 3 digits.
Yet the affordable price isn’t the only reason why people buy drone.
The legs are short because the darn things fold including the blades. So you’re left with a smartphone-like device that’s 5.5 inches long and 2.6 inches wide.
It’s super portable – you can put it in your jeans back pocket.
The camera offers 720p videos and live feeds. The videos can be saved in the app and in the mobile album system.
Also, you can attach your smartphone to your controller to see where your drone is going – a nice feature.
Also, the app offers several extra functions too, like the gravity sensor mode that enables the drone to follow the direction you move your smartphone.
Pretty cool huh?
There’s even a 3D mode that you can use with your VR headset for an immersive experience.
The transmission range is about 50 to 70 meters, but the Wi-Fi transmission range is only 30 meters.
And the playing time is about 7 to 9 minutes.
Another thing is it has LED navigation lights, which helps you keep track of your drone at night.
You get 4 speeds with the drone. You can start slow and increase as you get more comfortable.
Other features include altitude hold, which gets you nice images, headless mode, which makes control a breeze, and one-key takeoff and landing, which makes it childishly easy.
- Highly portable, you can easily take it anywhere with you.
- The one-key landing is great for newbies. So is the headless mode.
- There are extra functions from the app.
- It only weighs 83g (less than 3 ounces) so it doesn’t need FAA registration.
- Not wind-resistant, so only fly it on a calm day.
- The blades have no guard around it, so be careful when using it at low altitudes among crowds.
- You can overcharge the drone, and you need to let it cool down first before you charge it.
“A Drone That Fits Your Pocket”
You have seen by now how some controllers have a slot where you can put your smartphone to see live transmitted images?
This doesn’t have one. That’s because the controller already comes with its own screen display, so you can give your smartphone a break!
This is actually a candidate for the best FPV drone under 200.
The drone sends a 5.8GHz analog signal along with a 2.4GHz operating frequency . This makes for a stable signal with a lengthy transmission distance.
As for the camera, it offers 720p resolution with 120 degrees field of view – pretty similar when compared with some of the others on our list.
Also it comes with 3 speeds. As it’s a racing drone, the top speed can easily reach 45 kmph in just a few seconds.
Sure you can handle that?
The headless mode will pave the way for easy controls, suitable for beginners.
It also has a button you can press for instant 3D flips. Cool stunts to impress your friends huh?
Also, there are LED navigation lights, making this a great choice for night flying.
The operational range is about 100 meters and the flight time is 7 to 10 minutes. There’s a bonus battery so you can expect up to 20 minutes of flight time if you have both batteries charged and ready to go.
There’s also a low power alert system, so you don’t have to worry about losing your drone.
- The 5.8GHz offers clearer images and an operational distance of about 100 meters
- No need for a smartphone at all, as this already has a screen on the controller
- You can win races with this drone, as it’s so fast
- Calibrate the gyro right after each crash to prevent the drone from drifting to one side
- The headless mode makes it easier for newbies to use at low speeds
- This doesn’t have altitude hold, which is annoying considering its price
- This doesn’t have guards around the blades.
- The speed may not be suitable for newbies either.
“For Experienced Drone Enthusiasts”
Wait, this isn’t a Holy Stone!
But while the venerable Holy Stone brand is well-known, this Altair isn’t bad either, especially if you’re looking for FPV drones under 200.
It’s starting to get more customers, and most of the people who have bought it invariably give it great scores. So what’s the deal here?
First, like the other best drones under 200 with camera, this also has a camera with 720p resolution and 120 degrees for field of view.
Also, the sides have guards so the blades don’t hit anything while flying. You can relax a bit more now.
The 1-button takeoff and landing along with the headless mode makes control a piece of cake.
It even has an emergency landing function, should things get out of hand.
There’s also altitude hold so your photos and videos are more likely to have a better quality.
You can fly the drone at 3 different speeds.
The control range is up to 100 meters, and the flight time can last up to 10 minutes. Like the other best drones under 200 with camera, you can use this to shoot long videos.
Also, there’s an alarm to notify you if your drone is going out of range (so you’re not going to lose one of the best drones under 200 with camera), and another alarm for low battery.
You don’t need an app to fly the drone but you can use an app anyway for live feeds. The app also enables custom flight routes.
There’s even a VR mode, which may make you think it’s the best video drone under 200.
- No need for FAA registrations due to its small size
- It has LED lights with bright green in front and red at the rear to tell you of the orientation
- It’s easy for kids to use. The one-button landing is especially convenient. This may well be the best drone with camera under 200 for kids
- The controller can accommodate your smartphone so you can see the live feed as you fly
- There are custom flight routes and a VR mode too, which is great for the best drones under 200 with camera
- Alarms for out of range and for low battery are quite helpful
- The range for the live feed is only 40 to 50 meters or so
- You may not want to fly this when the winds are blowing strong
- There’s a port for a micro SD, but it’s a bit fiddly when you’re trying to get your card in or out
“Terrific Starter Drone with a Camera”
Conclusion on the Best Drones Under 200
Look up all these top rated drones under 200 and you’ll find them very reliable and quite fun. That’s the main point of getting the best drones under 200.
Even if you don’t really need them for your job, you can have a lot of fun with them.
Sure, they’re not quite as advanced as their more expensive counterparts. It’ll be harder for you to find the best GPS drone under 200.
Also, the best camera drone under 200 can’t compare with thousand-dollar drones with HD camera stabilizers and flawless live video.
All of the drones on our list are supported by numerous drone reviews under 200.
Check out just some of the drone reviews under 200 of these drones from our list of the best drones under 200 and you’ll see just why these drones are all so good.
So don’t be afraid to try out any one of the best drones under 200 that we’ve picked out in our list. You’ll surely have fun and be set up with the best drone under 200 dollars that is perfect for you.